2010/03/17

アポストロフィの使い方、part 1

As I always say, people should be more careful about their English signage!
  • signage 標識
Here's a shop in the Yaechika. One problem is that the sign says "FIRSTDRINK" when it should say "FIRST DRINK".

That's not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about the other mistake. Their sign says:

× Ladys Day
× Lady's Day
× Ladie's Day
× Ladies's Day
◯ Ladies' Day

Here are the reasons.

First, a possessive noun needs an apostrophe. That's what you call that little mark that looks like a comma.
  • possessive noun 所有格名詞 (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
  • 読点 (とうてん) (n) comma; (definition from Edict)
Second, I suppose they want to serve more than one lady. Don't use a singular noun in this case!

Third, if the noun ends in an "s", don't put the apostrophe before that "s". Also, don't add another "s". Please put the apostrope after the final "s".

I'll have more on using an apostrophe next time.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー