2010/09/07

「differ、different、difference」の違いは何?

I'm out! 
  • be out of something ~がなくなって、~を切らしていて、~が切れて、~を失って
    We're out of sugar. : 砂糖を切らしている。(definition and example from Eijiro on the Web)
This is a really delicious paste that I picked up in Okubo at a small import food shop. It has a strong flavor and can turn a dish red. I've made curry and soup with it. I'm still not an expert on Indian food, but I think the flavor is South Indian.
× It is different to Japanese curry roux.
◯ It is different from Japanese curry roux. <- "Different" is an adjective.
  •  curry roux 《料理》カレーのルー (definition from Eijiro on the Web) <- note, the pronunciation of "roux" is the same as in Japanese
× There is difference from Japanese curry roux.
◯ There is a difference between Japanese curry roux and this masala paste. <- "difference" is a noun, so "a" is necessary

◯ Japanese curry roux differs from this curry paste. <- too formal! Don't say this! "Differ" is a verb. 
However, now I have to get another jar of it, so that means a trip to Okubo.

Here's the website of the company that makes it.
http://www.priyafoods.com/india/masalapastes.htm
There are some different pastes on that site; maybe this time I'll look for the biryani paste, too!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー