2012/08/22

Tabikouboは英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。「heartful」は本当の英語でどう言う?


I was riding my bicycle up Chuo Avenue a few afternoons ago when I saw this bus. I read the side of the bus and had to stop to take a photo.
× We presents heartful trip
○ We provide heartfelt trips.
"Heartful" is not real English. It's a made-up word.
  • made-up【形】こしらえた、でっち上げた、フィクションの、架空の (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
It's true that we add the suffix "-ful" to mean "full of ~". However, "heartful" is not a commonly accepted case, unlike words like "hateful", "grateful", and "disgraceful" (like the English on this bus).

On the other hand, "heartfelt" is a real word that is relatively common.
  • heartfelt【形】〔感謝・同情・謝罪などの言葉・行動などが〕心からの (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
On top of that, this is still a weird sentence. The tour company doesn't have anything to do with whether I am traveling sincerely or not. Maybe they mean something like:
We provide you with heartfelt service on your trip.
That makes more sense. They are sincere, which makes my trip happier.

They also forgot the period at the end of the sentence. Make sure you don't do that.

This blog is just my heartfelt advice on how you can improve your English. I hope you'll come and study with us, too.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Good job,Nick!!
    Can I introduce your brog on my facebook?

    返信削除

フォロワー