2013/08/27

大洋ペーパーは英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。


There's an office building that I frequently visit. The maintenance people there stock the restrooms with plenty of toilet paper. It's nice in case the person before you has used all of the previous roll, requiring you to open a new roll. I suppose it's easier for them, too, since they don't have to check the amount of toilet paper in the bathrooms so regularly.

Anyway, I was in need of a fresh roll the other day when I noticed the packaging. It says:
× R.T.P Soft Pearl, Recycle Toilet Paper, Pro Use
R.T.P. Soft Pearl, Recycled Toilet Paper, Industrial 
There are several mistakes here, but one of them is pretty funny, I thought. That's the "pro use" part. It sounds like the toilet paper is only for people who are professionals at using toilet paper.

"Yes, sir, I am a butt-wiping professional with 37 years of experience!"
  • wipe someone's bottom with a piece of paper(人)のお尻を紙切れで拭く
  • butt〈米話〉けつ、しり◆【同】buttocks (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
It seems unnatural to me, and at least I took it wrong the first time I read it. I think the more common expression is "professional use", which often means "for professional use only". That makes it sound like this toilet paper is dangerous.

"No, wait! Don't wipe your butt with that toilet paper! It's for professionals only. You might hurt yourself!"

"Industrial" is often used for things that are used in industrial or commercial environments. On top of that, it's an adjective, so it's easier to use in front of a noun.

The other thing that was funny was their imperative statement: "Recycle Toilet Paper". It sounds like they want me to recycle my toilet paper! Don't you think that's gross?
  • imperative statement 命令ステートメント (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
  • gross 気持ち悪い、嫌な、ゾッとする、吐き気を催すような、いまいましい、ムカムカさせる、むかつく (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
They mean the toilet paper itself is made from recycled paper, which is nice.

Also be sure to catch the subtle mistake about periods. The extra period is necessary because it's an acronym for "something-starting-with-r", "Taiyo", and "Paper".
  • acronym 頭字語 (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
We teach English to professionals and non-professionals both, but we don't have industrial toilet paper in the restroom. It's just stuff from the drug store down the street. Still, I hope you will join us for a lesson soon!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー