2010/04/06

「attack」と「hit」との違い、「ヒップ」は英語でどう言う?

I was riding my bicycle to class just after sunset. I was doing high-speed on the approach towards the Bank of Japan. I passed through a traffic signal. There were many cars and trucks parked on the left side of the street, and a taxi passed me on the right.

Suddenly, from between two parked vehicles, a female office worker ran into the street. I had one second to react. I swerved to the right to avoid her. She continued to run into the street.

× That's when I attacked her head-on. <- it was an accident!
◯ That's when I hit her head-on.
  • 襲う (おそう) (v5u) to attack; (P);  (definition from Edict)
  • 当てる (あてる) (v1) to hit; to apply a patch; (P); (definition from Edict)
My bicycle and right elbow hit her, and I came flying off the bicycle.

× My body twisted in the air, and I attacked pavement with my hip.
◯ My body twisted in the air, and I hit pavement with my butt.
  • 腰 (こし) (n) hip; (P); (definition from Edict)
  • お尻 (おしり) arse; bottom; buttocks; <- butt (definition from Edict)
I rolled over my backpack and landed upright on my toes. I grabbed the bicycle and ran to the woman. Another woman had come from the sidewalk. The woman I hit was completely stunned and half-lying in the street. She couldn't open her eyes somehow.

"Are you OK? Are you hurt?" we asked.

She stood up, her eyes still closed. The other woman picked up the stunned woman's glasses. I suggested that we immediately get out of the road. We walked her to the sidewalk. She said she wasn't injured. I checked her face and elsewhere for blood. There wasn't any. I tried to ask her where I had hit her, but the Japanese didn't come to mind quickly.

"I'm OK," she said and paused. "Conversely, are you OK?" she asked. The other woman walked off.

"I'm fine, I think," I said. "Please please please use a crosswalk the next time you cross the street."

"Yes, yes," she told me. She walked away down the sidewalk, and I adjusted the chain of my bicycle, which had come off. Then I rode on to my class.

I was lucky I didn't break my neck. My only injury is this scrape on my arm. She's lucky that I wasn't a taxi; she would have likely been killed or really badly injured.

For all you pedestrians, cross the street in clear areas at least. Better yet, use a crosswalk!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー