2011/01/31

「raise」と「rise」の違い、part 2

It has taken me all of January to catch up with topics from 2010. The last thing I need to do is revisit my post last year about "raise" and "rise", which several people said still confused them.

Let's try to clear things up.

● Let's clear up a couple of things. いくつかのことをはっりさせましょう。(example from Eijiro on the Web)

"Raise" is a verb that usually requires an object: a transitive verb. You can make a sentence in passive voice with it.

transitive verb 他動 たどう (definition from jmdict)

"Rise" is a verb that isn't used with an object: an intransitive verb. You can't make a sentence in passive voice with it.

intransitive verb 自動詞 じどうし (definition from jmdict)

Radish cakes (or turnip cakes) are a traditional dish at Chinese New Year. One Chinese name for them means something like "rising height every year" or "growing taller every year".

In other words, your height rises every year (notice, no object). That's the auspicious meaning of the dish.

auspicious 吉祥、愛でたい (definition from jmdict)

I tried to make them this weekend, and while it looks pretty good in this photo, the texture was actually pretty wrong.

From the photo in my next post, you will see that I have to raise my skill level at making radish cakes (notice "skill level" is the object).

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー