2010/02/05

「notice」と「realize」の違いは何?

Look at the words "notice" and "realize" (definitions from Eijiro on the Web).
  • notice 気が付く
  • realize 気が付く、理解する
It's confusing because both of them say 気が付く. Take a look at this story.

I went to Koenji last weekend. In one strange boutique on Naka St.,
× I realized a strange bracelet. <- I didn't understand anything. ◯ I noticed a strange bracelet. <- I saw it.
It looked like an accessory a punk rocker or metalhead might wear.
  • metalhead ヘビメタ狂◆ヘビーメタル音楽が大好きな人
However, it was made of plastic, not leather and metal, and there was something strange about the spikes.
  • spike 五寸釘 (definition from jmdict)
◯ Then I noticed that the spikes had something in them: lights! <- You could say I saw them...
◯ Then I realized that the spikes had something in them: lights! <- ...or you could say I understood the fact.

× That's when I noticed it would be perfect for my night-time bicycle rides. <- This doesn't involve my perception.
◯ That's when I realized it would be perfect for my night-time bicycle rides. <- It was a thought.
◯ That's when I knew it would be perfect for my night-time bicycle rides. <- maybe more natural
The bracelet was too hilarious for me, so I had to buy it.
  • hilarious とても愉快な[楽しい・面白い・おかしい]、大笑い{おおわらい}の、滑稽{こっけい}な、笑いを誘う、 浮かれ騒ぐ、陽気{ようき}な、爆笑{ばくしょう}さ せられる、笑わされる、おちゃらけた、おどけた、浮ついた
Did you notice the difference between these two words?

Use "notice" for something that involves your senses, not "realize". Use "realize" for something that involves your thinking. This is clear if you look at the first definition for each from dictionary.com:
  • notice: to pay attention to or take notice of, to perceive; become aware of
  • realize: to grasp or understand clearly
Have you realized how they have different meanings?

I hope that you have noticed your English getting better by reading this blog. I hope you realize that reading English every day makes a big difference.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー