2010/07/22

この店は英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。スペルミスしないで。

I was out walking around on the holiday. Hot, wasn't it?
× I passed a suits shop. <- don't use a plural noun as an adjective
◯ I passed a suit shop.
It's no wonder this shop needs to advertise suits. Who wants to buy a suit when it's 35 degrees outside?

However, this shop needs help. Not only does their graphic design leave a LOT to be desired, it's spelled wrong!
× Laday's suit (wrong spelling, shouldn't be singular)
Ladies' suits (so-so?)
◯ Women's suits (better, maybe)
  • leave ~ to be desired どこか物足りない、不十分な点がある◆【直訳】何か望まれるものを残している The results left a lot to be desired. : あまり望ましくない結果が出た。(definition from Eijiro on the Web)
I wrote about apostrophes a few months ago. Now's a good time to review:
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2010/03/part-1.html
× You won't catch me wearing a suits in this weather. <-「suits」は日本語英語
◯ You won't catch me wearing a suit in this weather.
In fact, you'd be lucky to catch me in a suit in any weather. Take care in the heat!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー