2011/09/10

一目ぼれ

Everyone has a weakness I have been told. Some people smoke like a chimney, some drink excessively, some eat too many sweets. As for me, I spend too much on fish. No, not the sashimi kind--who can say no to o-toro-- but ornamental fish, like Nemo and friends. There haven’t been many fish I have seen that I didn’t like. Earlier this week, I made my weekly visit to the local pet shop. I saw this gorgeous, eye-catching fish (see pic. above) in one of the tanks. It was love at first sight.

“I’ve gotta have her!”

Must be at least 5,000 Yen or 10,000 Yen at most I thought.

“How much would it cost to take her home?” I told myself.

“The kids will love her,” I continued.

I called the shop assistant over.

“How much is this beauty?” I asked.

“That is a black and white bandit angel, Johnny-san” he replied. “It is 180,000 Yen”

I nearly choked when I heard. There would be no new addition to the fish tank. Not at that price tag. Is it better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all? I went home heartbroken.

Grammar point: at least vs. at (the) most

at least means "not less than"少なくとも、最少に見ても、~を下らない、どんなに安く見積もっても[踏んでも]You should spend at least 30 minutes to an hour studying English everyday.

at most/ at the most means "not more than"最大限でも、多くて(も)、せいぜい、たかだか、よくても、高くても You've only been to class at most three times this term. :今学期、あなたはせいぜい3回ぐらいしか授業に出ていない。

Sample sentences
  • I have at least 20 pairs of shoes.
  • In Japan you must be at least 20 to drink.
Vocabulary:
  • smoke like a chimney~ 煙突が煙を吐くようにたばこを吸う
  • excessively~ 過大に、過度に、過剰に
  • ornamental~ 装飾物、装飾品, 観賞植物
  • love at first sight~ 一目ぼれ

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー