2011/12/13

Yaechikaは英語使い方に注意した方が良い + 「partly」の使い方


Yaechika is a goldmine of English mistakes!

  • absolute goldmine 《an ~》〈話〉〔店・事業などが〕ドル箱 (definition from Eijiro on the Web)

This time I found this sign:
× Information of the Business
○ Business Information
Many times you can use a noun as an adjective, like in this case.
× Partly, there is a shop where business hours are different.
○ There are some shops with different business hours.
Don't use "partly" when you are talking about a countable quantity of something, like "shops" in the sentence above. "Partly" is usually used before a verb, like this:
I've partly corrected this sign, but there are still some mistakes remaining.
You can also use it to modify an adjective:
I have a cap which is partly damaged, but I haven't thrown it out yet. 
It has been too long since I last posted to the blog. That is partly because I've had a busy class schedule. It's partly because there were a lot of other things to do. You might be partly satisfied with these excuses, but I bet you aren't completely satisfied. Don't worry! I haven't forgotten about you loyal blog readers! I'm still thinking of your English education, and I'll be back soon with another blog post.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー