2013/01/30

Blendyは英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。


Before going to presentations at my university, I stopped by a supermarket to get some coffee. I wanted to drink some coffee so that I would be sure to stay awake through all of the presentations.
  • stay awake 目を覚ましている、起きている (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
No matter how exciting they are, if I am short of sleep, it's hard to listen to people speak Japanese for 40 minutes without dozing off.
  • short of ~が足りない[不足している]、~に達していない、~の手前で (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
Anyway, I bought this large bottle of Blendy, and I noticed the mistake:
× bottle coffee
bottled coffee
The point here is that the coffee has been bottled by the manufacturer. It's that fact, stated with a passive verb, that means we should say "bottled coffee".

"Bottle coffee" is strange. Similarly, we say "prepackaged bread" or "bagged garbage".

The coffee wasn't particularly delicious, but it did keep me awake. Next time I think I will try to  get canned coffee because it's hot. It's better for our health to drink warm beverages, and it's probably more delicious, too.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー