2010/05/14

Happy 2010! +「obvious」と「oblivious」の違い

On behalf of my neighbors, I'd like to wish you all a happy 2010.
  • on behalf of 為に ために
"But Renick," you might say, "it's May, not January 1st!"

You are right. It is obvious that it's no longer New Years. Since my neighbors seem to be oblivious of that fact, I'll go head and give you this second New Year's best wishes. They have had this decoration on their door since a bit before January 1st.
  • (definitions from Edict) 
  •  一目瞭然 (いちもくりょうぜん) (adj-na,n) apparent; obvious; very clear; 
  • 自明 (じめい) (adj-na,adj-no,n) obvious; self-evident; axiomatic; self-explanatory; (P); 
  • 分かり切った (わかりきった) obvious; undeniable; 
  • 明白 (めいはく) (adj-na,n) (uk) obvious; overt; plainly; frankly; (P); 
  • oblivious of 忘れがち 忘れ勝ち わすれがち (from jmdict)
Before, I thought they were just busy:
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/09/neighborhoodneighbor.html
Then I thought maybe they were dead inside the apartment, but I've recently seen both a younger woman and an older woman enter the apartment. Since it is so easy to remove the decoration, it seems obvious that they just LOVE that decoration and the holiday spirit.

Why not, I suppose? Maybe having a festive attitude all year is good for you.
  • festive 祝祭{しゅく さい}の、祭日{さいじつ}の、お祝いの (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
Be careful about the slight difference in spelling between these two words. Even though they look similar, the meanings are really different.

And happy 2010!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー