2009/06/08

If you don't understand conditional sentences, you are in luck! (条件文)


Yes, you're in luck!
in luck 運がよくて、運が向いて
・Oh, you're in luck! We have one left in the back. : ああ、あなたは運がいいですね。一つだけ在庫があります。
・I'm in luck! : これはついてる、何とラッキー!
As I said last week, I'm going to spend a week discussing conditional sentences. If you ask me which parts of English give students the most trouble, I will tell you that conditional sentences is one of them.
  • conditional sentence 条件文
There are four types of conditional sentences, which we can label this way: zero, first, second, and third. Look at some examples.
  • If I'm hungry, I eat something. (zero)
  • If I am hungry, I will eat something. (first)
  • If I were hungry, I would eat something. (second)
  • If I had been hungry, I would have eaten something. (third)
If I ask you, can you tell me the differences between these sentences? If you can't, that's OK, because I'm going to explain them over the next few days.

In the meantime, take a look at the dinner I prepared for myself this evening. It's laksa, which is a southeast Asian dish, on egg noodles with vegetarian dumplings and cucumber. The laksa included some nice tumeric from Mumbai, nice onions from Tsukiji, and nice dried lemongrass from California. Here's more about laksa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa
If you could eat like this every day, would you become a vegetarian, too? OK, I know you like to eat fish or something, but if you asked me, I would be happy to give you advice on being a vegetarian. More on conditional sentences tomorrow.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー