2010/08/20

Mustafaは英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。

I guess I caught a cold on the plane on the way back from Singapore, because last night I had a fever and a sore throat. I took it easy all day today and took Chinese medicine. Now I'm feeling much better, and hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to normal.

Singapore is a really interesting place. English is an official language, and a lot of people speak it really well. However, I could still find mistakes like this one at Mustafa, a 24-hour discount store in Little India:
× please put back after trythanks
◯ Please put them back after trying them on. Thanks!
Spaces between words and punctuation are basic rules. Nothing more needs to be said.

"Put back" needs an object. Because the simplest object in this case is "them", which is a pronoun, we should put it between the two parts of this phrasal verb.
  • phrasal verb 句動詞 (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
The last point is about using "after". It can be a preposition or a conjunction. My correction uses it as a preposition. A preposition must be followed by a noun, so we need to use "ing" with the verb.

On top of that, we usually don't "try" clothing or shoes. We "try it on". <- "try on" is another phrasal verb
  • try on 試着する、着てみる、履いてみる  (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
When I'm back to 100%, I'll show you the delicious stuff I could eat in Singapore.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー