2010/08/05

「~によって」は英語でどう言う?「depend on」の使い方

A few weeks ago, somebody was telling me about Japanese pickles. They told me:
× The flavor is different by each prefecture.
◯ The flavor is different in each prefecture.
◯ The flavor differs according to the prefecture.
◯ The flavor depends on the prefecture.
  • depend on ~によって決まる、~次第{しだい}である
That last pattern is really useful! Take a look:
  • _(n/noun phrase)_ depends on _(n/noun phrase)_
You probably know I like chocolate by reading my blog, which has posts like this one:
This is some dark chocolate that I was eating the other day. It's a bit sweeter than I like, but the flavor was really rich.
  • rich flavor 《a ~》豊かな風味 (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
Dark chocolate is one of my favorite things to eat. I should learn more about why dark chocolates can taste so different. What factors does the flavor depend on?
  • factor 因子, ファクター, 因 (definition from jmdict)
If I were a rich man, I'd sample a different kind of dark chocolate every day. Right now, the kinds of chocolate I eat depend on what people give me. I seldom have the time to wander around the basement of a department store sampling chocolate. Some day...

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー