2013/05/31

「already」の使い方, part 2


The other day I said I would tell you more about "already". Remember that "already" is an adverb. Dictionary.com gives two meanings:
  • by this or that time; previously; prior to or at some specified or implied time: When we came in, we found they had already arrived.
  • now; so soon; so early: Is it noon already?
Check the previous article and see which meaning of "already" is being used in each case.

I often use "already" when something is complete contrary to expectations.
  • contrary to ~に反して・Contrary to my expectation, I couldn't win the first prize. : 期待に反して、私は優勝を逃しました。(definition and example from Eijiro on the Web)
I've already told you about the photo above. It's the airplane plant with a shoot that is bowed because of the weight of that new plant growing at the end of it.

I'm not sure what to do about the spider plant ("spider plant" is another name for "airplane plant"). It is growing so strongly that I'm running out of space. It's roots have already started coming out of the bottom of the pot!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー