2009/08/14

関係代名詞の使い方, part 12: 関係詞節の主語

I want to talk about leaving out relative pronouns in relative clauses. Before that, we should talk about the subject of the relative clause.
  • 主語 (しゅご) (n) (ling) subject; (P);
  • 関係詞節 relative clause
  • Some noodles are shown in this photo.
  • The noodles are sesame sauce noodles.
  • The noodles that are shown in this photo are sesame sauce noodles.
  • 胡麻 (ごま) (n) (uk) sesame (seeds);
The subject of the relative clause is "noodles".
  • The noodles were delicious and reminded me of Taiwan.
  • A Taiwanese vegetarian restaurant in Yokohama serves them.
  • The noodles, which a Taiwanese vegetarian restaurant in Yokohama serves, were delicious and reminded me of Taiwan.
In this case, "noodles" is the object of the verb "serves".
  • I ate them at a restaurant.
  • The restaurant is owned by a Taiwanese couple who have lived in Yokohama for more than 20 years.
  • The restaurant which I ate them at is owned by a Taiwanese couple who have lived in Yokohama for more than 20 years.
  • 有する (ゆうする) (vs-s) to own; to be endowed with; (P);
In this case, "restaurant" belongs to a prepositional phrase. It's not the subject or object.

Here's a page about the restaurant in Japanese:
http://r.tabelog.com/kanagawa/A1401/A140105/14009294/
They only gave the restaurant three stars, but I really like it. I go there every time I go to Yokohama. Try it if you get a chance.

More on 関係代名詞 soon.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー