2009/08/28

関係代名詞の使い方, part 19: 関係代名と前置詞

Last time I was talking about stranded prepositions and relative clauses.
  • stranded preposition 残置前置詞{ざんち ぜんちし}
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/08/part-18.html
Like I said yesterday, native speakers use this pattern all the time, even though some really strict teachers don't like it.

Start with a sentence with a prepositional phrase.
  • prepositional phrase 前置詞句
  • I was studying programming in this room on Sunday evening.
Take the object of the preposition, and make a new sentence
  • prepositional object 前置詞付き目的語
  • This room is a laboratory at my university.
Now put the two together with a relative pronoun.
  • This room, which I was studying programming in on Sunday, is a laboratory at my university.
The preposition is said to be "stranded" because there's no object right after it.
  • 擱座 (かくざ) (n,vs) running aground; stalled; stranded;
I turned off the lights and just used a lamp. That's more comfortable than the florescent lights. The lights (which) I turned off were fluorescent. Maybe I'll be doing the same thing this Sunday.
  • 蛍光灯 (けいこうとう) (n) (1) fluorescent lamp; fluorescent light;
Enjoy your weekend!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー