2009/12/09

日本国際教育支援協会は英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。

I took a Japanese test on Sunday at one of the Tokyo University campuses. It was a bit harder than I expected, but I think everything went OK.

It was interesting that there was a cute kid sitting in front of me. I could see his name card. His name was Clarence, he was eight years old, and he was from India.

His legs were too short to reach the floor, and my legs were too long for the narrow seating. Consequently, we kept accidentally kicking each other under the table. I said "sorry" and said "OK, OK" with a smile.

After the test, I asked him how long he had been studying Japanese.

"Two years," he said.

"Was the test hard?" I asked him.

"Kind of," he said.

Another interesting fact was the one English mistake I could find on my answer sheet. It said:
× Check up on your test vouchers.
〜 Check this up on your test voucher.
Check this against your test voucher. <- make sure that this matches the one on the test voucher
  • 証票 (しょうひょう) (n) certificate; voucher; chit;
There are two mistakes. First, I only have one test voucher, not multiple ones. Also, "check up" without an object has a different usage, I feel.
Please check up on the children in the other room. <- verb
How did your check-up at the doctor go? <- noun
  • 人間ドック (にんげんドック) (n) medical check-up; thorough physical examination; (P);
I was also a little frustrated that a test which lasts for only 140 minutes took from 9:30 to 14:35 to complete. Anyway, it was an interesting experience, and there were some beautiful trees on the university campus as well.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー