2009/10/07

「meal」と「meat」の違い

I'm sorry for the blurry photo; this is the same sign I was talking about yesterday. This part of the sign says:
× Seafood&Meatfood
While I admire the creativity the sign-maker is showing, "meatfood" is not an English word.
  • 憧れる (あこがれる) (v1,vi) to long for; to yearn after; to admire; to be attracted by; (P);
  • 創造力 (そうぞうりょく) (n) creative power; (P); creativity
I wish I could give you a good reason why we say "seafood" but not "meatfood", but I just can't think of one.

The sign should read:
Seafood & Meat
× As a vegetarian, I don't eat any seafood, or any meal either.
○ As a vegetarian, I don't eat any seafood, or any meat either.
  • 食事 (しょくじ) (n) (1) meal;
  • 肉 (にく) (n) (2) meat;
For my meals, it's vegetables only. I hope you enjoy your next meal!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー