2009/12/26

家族の死


It was love at first sight. There she was swimming gracefully, and she was shiny and beautiful. We even got assurance from the fish shop oniisan that it was healthy and durable. I liked it. My son had no doubts it would be a nice addition to the fish tank. My daughter agreed. My wife also approved. Our journey home was smooth as the freeway was not crowded. We even stopped by for Chinese before heading home.

As soon as we got home we followed basic acclimation protocol. When we released her into the tank, she darted around before finding a good hiding place between the rocks. The next morning she was still too shy and hid behind the rocks. My daughter fed the fish in the tank and the newcomer partook in the feeding. "It looks like one of the colorful socks you have, dad." my daughter said. "Let's call her socks." "That's a perfect name." I replied. I observed the other two fish inhabitants and they all seemed fine. Soon after I went to work.

Later on the day I got a call from my daughter. "The shrimp (the other tank mate) is attacking Socks. It is on the verge of death." When I got home, Socks was on her last legs (or fins) Hardly able to move, she lay on one of the rocks. She died soon after. Socks was with us less than 24 hours.

Right before hitting the sack, my wife (sympathetically) said "Poor fish. We shouldn't have bought it. We should have just left it in the shop." Sigh... I agree. Fish keeping is tougher than I thought it would be. R.I.P. Socks.

Useful vocabulary
love at first sight~一目ぼれ
Do you believe in love at first sight?: 一目ぼれを信じますか.

assurance~言質、請け合う約束
G
erman officials have offered assurances that the incident will be pursued vigorously. :
ドイツ当局者は、全力を傾けてこの事件を追及すると保証しました

durable~耐久性のある、長持ちする、じょうぶな、持ちの良い


head home~家に帰る
It's almost midnight. Shouldn't you be heading home? :
もうすぐ夜中の12時ですよ。そろそろ帰らなくていいのですか。

acclimation~順応、順化、風土順応、環境順化、環境に順応すること

protocol~外交儀礼, 儀典、礼儀作法、慣習
T
hey are trying to shed some of its stifling protocol. :
彼らは、息の詰まる外交儀礼の一部を切り捨てようとしている。

dart~サッと動く、飛ぶ、素早く動く、突進する、飛んで行く

on the verge of~今にも~しようとして
I was on the verge of agreeing with him when someone cried, "He's a liar!" :
私が彼に賛成しようとした時、誰かが「彼はうそつきだ」と叫んだ。

hit the sack~床に就く
Last night, I hit the sack before midnight. : 昨夜は夜中の12時前に床に就いた。
Let's hit the sack. : さあ寝よう

R.I.P.~Rest In Peace 〔魂などが〕安らかに眠る、〔霊などが〕休まる

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー