2009/12/24

「image」と「imagine」の違いは何?

I hear this mistake at least once a week, I think.
× Can you image?
○ Can you imagine?
"Image" is a noun. The most common meaning for "image" is something like "picture".

"Imagine" is a verb. It means to think of something in your head.

There's also "imagination", which is the noun form of "imagine".
  • 画像 (がぞう) (n) image; picture; portrait; (P);
  • 憶う (おもう) (v5u,vt) (1) to think; to consider; to believe; (2) to think (of doing); to plan (to do); (3) to judge; to assess; to regard; (4) to imagine; to suppose; to dream; (5) to expect; to look forward to; (6) to feel; to desire; to want; (7) to recall; to remember;
  • 思う (おもう) (v5u,vt) (1) to think; to consider; to believe; (2) to think (of doing); to plan (to do); (3) to judge; to assess; to regard; (4) to imagine; to suppose; to dream; (5) to expect; to look forward to; (6) to feel; to desire; to want; (7) to recall; to remember; (P);
  • 心に描く (こころにえがく) (exp) to imagine;
  • (definitions from Edict)
Look at this image. It's food that I made a couple of weeks ago. There's Pakistani chick pea curry, which I made using a spice mixture from Pakistan.

There's also spinach curry with potatoes. First I looked at a bunch of recipes on the net. Then I thought about all of the times I'd eaten this dish in Indian restaurants. From that, I used my imagination and tried to make it.

I ate the curry with tortillas and a cup of black tea.

Can you imagine what it tasted like?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー