2010/02/22

賞味期限にご注意、「rot 」と「go bad」の違い

This dish that I just cooked looks pretty delicious, right? I thought so, too, until I took a bite. In fact, it was a failure.

The dish is Chinese-style braised tofu with green onions and green peppers. It looked great, and I was really excited about eating it. I tore into it, but I was quickly disappointed.
× The tofu had rotted.
◯ The tofu had already gone sour. <- it really was sour
◯ The tofu had already gone bad. <- "go bad" is the general way to say 腐る
  • tear into something ~に取り掛かる (definition from Eijiro on the Web) <- not sure about this... I'm saying that I started eating it quickly and enthusiastically...
  • go sour 酸っぱくなる、味が変わる
  • 腐る (くさる) (v5r) to rot; to go bad; (P); (definition from Edict)
In most cases, you should use "go bad". Use "rot" for when things have really changed a lot, close to decomposed. When you think of "rot", think of zombies.
decompose 【自動】
  1. 腐敗{ふは い}[腐食{ふしょく}]する
  2. 〔物質が〕分解{ぶんかい}する
【他動】
  1. 腐 敗{ふはい}[腐食{ふしょく}]させる
  2. 〔物 質を〕分解{ぶんかい}する
You had better be careful about expiration dates. I thought I was, too, but it was too close. The package said it was good until the 22nd, but it was clearly past the expiration date.
  • expiration date 有効{ゆうこう}[使用{しよう}・消費{しょうひ}・賞味{しょうみ}]期限{きげん}(definition from Eijiro on the Web)
This day is also past its expiration date. Time to go to bed...

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー