2011/10/15

INAXは英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。


I was in the restroom at Haneda Airport last week when this sign caught my eye:
× Equipment to cleansing the buttocks with warm water.
A device to clean the buttocks with warm water.
  • buttock【名】尻、臀部{でんぶ}◆通例buttocks (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
The main mistake here is "to cleansing". Unless "to" is a preposition, don't use a v+ing after it.
○ I am looking forward to seeing you soon.
× I hope to seeing you soon.
○ I hope to see you soon.
The other thing I suggest changing is "equipment" to "a device". The first difference between these two is that "equipment" is uncountable, while "device" is countable. "Equipment" often feels like a set of tools, and it is also often large things. The toilet seat is not so big, and we don't think of it as a set. That's why I think "device" is better.

There is no device to clean up all of the English mistakes I see everywhere. The only thing that can be done is for people to study English more. I hope to help those people in class. Contact us if you want to avoid making mistakes like Inax has.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー