2009/09/16

浜離宮恩賜庭園の英語の使い方は比較的良い。

Nice flowers, aren't they? I saw these flowers at Hamarikyu Gardens (浜離宮恩賜庭園) near Shinbashi Station. I often ride by there on my bicycle, and the other day I went inside to take a look around.
  • take a look around ~を見物しに行く、見回す (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
It's a really relaxing place, and there are several fields of flowers. However, on the edge of the field, I found this sign:
× please keep off the grass
KEEP OFF THE GRASS 芝生立ち入り禁止 (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
The grammar is almost right. Here's how it should have been written:
○ Please keep off the grass.
Don't forget that you should always capitalize the first letter of the first word in a complete sentence.
  • capitalize ~を大文字{おおもじ}で書く (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
Also, don't forget periods at the end of your sentences.

Since I'm picky, what bothers me more is that this isn't grass. It's a field of flowers! It would have been OK if they said:
Please keep out of the flowers.
Please stay out of the flowerbed.
flowerbed - 花壇
Despite their English mistakes on their signage, they did have a well-done English brochure, with only one mistake in it. Nice job! I'm worried about the Japanese headline of this post, though. I had better study Japanese more. I'll post more pictures of the park another time.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー