2009/11/03

「relief」と「release」の違いは何?

Last night around 5:30, my nose starting running. When I got home, I took some medicine, but I was still having trouble this morning.

After my Japanese lesson, I went to the drug store and bought this Chinese medicine. Taking the medicine helped.

Sometimes I hear from people in a similar situation; they often use the word "release". However, it's not the right choice. Check these sentences:
× After taking the medicine, I was release. <- sounds similar, but this is wrong
× After taking the medicine, I was relief. <- "relief" is a noun
○ After taking the medicine, I was relieved. <- OK!
○ I started to feel better, which was a relief. <- here's how to use the noun
"Release" has several meanings, like (definitions from Edict):
  • 解放 (かいほう) (n,vs) (1) release; unleashing; liberation; emancipation; setting free;
  • 取り離す (とりはなす) (v5s,vt) to release; to let go (of);
Here are some more definitions from Edict:
  • 安神 (あんしん) (adj-na,n,vs) relief; peace of mind;
  • 緩和 (かんわ) (n,vs) relief; mitigation; alleviation; relaxation; softening; (P);
  • すうっと (vs,adv) (on-mim) refreshed; relieved;
  • 和らげる (やわらげる) (v1,vt) to soften; to moderate; to relieve; (P); <- in English, "relieve" is a verb
Soon I'll go home and make some ginger tea. That will probably give me some more relief. The weather has suddenly become cooler, so everyone please take care! Don't catch a cold!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー