2010/01/23

つけましたか?住宅用火災警報器


I saw this poster about fire safety awareness a while ago and totally forgot about it. Given that it is winter (think kerosene heaters) it is better late than never to write a post about it.
Actually we are going to take a name-that-thing-in-English quiz. Take a look at the poster on top.

Take a look at the picture where it says "1." Do you have one in your house? I was told that we need to change the batteries at least once a year to make sure it is working.

1. So what is this item called in English?
a) fire whistler
b) smoke detector
c) smoke catcher

Next, let's take a look at what the man is holding (2). Do you know how to use one? I wonder how often we are supposed replace them.

2. What do you call the big red can?
a) fire killer
b) fire exterminator
c) fire extinguisher

Moving right along, take a look at "3"
3. What is the man trying to do?
a) He is trying to put out the fire.
b) He is trying to put off the fire.
c) He is trying to kill the fire.


And last but not least, what good is an organization without a mascot (4)? It seems that most companies have one. I recently saw a funny mascot. Do you know 地デジカ? Tokyo Sky tree has a mascot too but I forgot his name and for the life of me, I don't know this mascot's name either. Perhaps one of you kind readers out there can help me. Anyway,

4. What do we call a person who does such a job?
a) fireblower
b) fire terminator
c) firefighter

For the answers to the questions above check my next blog.

Useful vocabulary
kerosene heater~ 石油ストーブ

better late than never~ 遅くとも来ない[しない]よりはまし
I know we're late for your birthday party, but better late than never, right? :
誕生日パーティに遅れちゃったけど来ないよりはいいでしょ?

Better late than never~ 遅くても[遅れても]何もしないよりはまし。◆後にbut better never late(でも遅れない方が良い)と続けることもある。約束の時間や締め切りなどに遅れたときの言い訳として使われることが多いが、された側が儀礼の言葉 として使うこともある

For the life of me~ どうしても、どんなことがあっても◆【直訳】私の命に懸けて~ではない◆否定を強調する口語表現
For the life of me, I can't remember why. :
なぜなのかどうしても思い出せない。
But for the life of me I cannot remember his name. :
しかしどうしても彼の名前が思い出せない。

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー