2009/08/12

関係代名詞の使い方, part 11: commas and "that"

Here are the answers to the questions I asked yesterday:
  • The photo that you are looking at is the ceiling of the Tokyo International Forum, where I was waiting yesterday while my bicycle was being repaired.
  • × The ceiling, that is made of glass, is really beautiful. <- here's the mistake
  • ○ The ceiling, which is made of glass, is really beautiful. <- don't use "that" after a comma
  • Unfortunately the camera, which is in the iPhone, doesn't capture its beauty very well.
If you're not sure about those, review these recent posts.
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/08/part-9-comma-or-no-comma.html
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/08/part-10-commas-and-that.html
This stack of notebooks, which are full of grammar mistakes, is almost all that remains on this shelf. The other stuff that was on this shelf has been thrown away. I'm trying to get rid of half of the stuff that I own. If I can get rid of the things that I don't need, I will feel freer, maybe. The things that are leaving, which include wool suits, old boxes, and a space heater, were just taking up space. It's good to clean up while on vacation!
  • 捨てる (すてる) (v1,vt) to throw away; to cast aside; to abandon; to resign; to break up with (someone); (P); get rid of
  • electric space heater 電気暖房器
I'll continue to tell you about the mistakes that are in the notebooks. More soon!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー