2009/08/18

関係代名詞の使い方, part 13: 関係代名詞は省略できる?

Sometimes! The first rule about leaving out a relative pronoun is related to my last post about subjects.

Here's the first part of the rules about leaving out relative pronouns.

If the relative pronoun represents the object of the verb in the relative clause, you can leave out the relative pronoun.
  • I made some dishes on Saturday night.
  • This is one of them.
  • ○ This is one dish which I made on Saturday night.
  • ○ This is one dish I made on Saturday night.
If the relative pronoun represents the subject of the verb in the relative clause, you cannot leave out the relative pronoun.
  • It's stir-fried bitter melon.
  • 苦い (にがい) (adj-i) bitter; (P);
  • 瓜 (うり) (n) melon; gourd;
  • 苦瓜,ゴーヤ bitter melon
  • The bitter melon had first been boiled for three minutes.
  • ○ It's stir-fried bitter melon which had first been boiled for three minutes.
  • × It's stir-fried bitter melon had first been boiled for three minutes.
Now, read this paragraph and see how many relative pronouns you can leave out:

The bitter melon which I cooked was given to me by someone who I know. This person knows that bitter melon is a vegetable which I'm not crazy about. However, she said not to be afraid. I took the fruit and said that I would cook it this weekend. After washing it and cutting it open, I removed the seeds and fiber which were inside. Then I sliced it and boiled it. Finally, I stir-fried it with pieces of fried tofu, garlic, spicy red peppers, and a bit of salt. The bitterness did not reach the level that I had been afraid of. In fact, it tasted pretty good! Still, this fruit is called "bitter" for a reason: it's bitter! Anyway, for my health, I might buy another one, since this is a fruit which is in season right now.

You can check your answers in my next post. Check back soon!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー