2009/08/20

関係代名詞の使い方, part 14: 関係代名詞は省略できる?

I was just talking about leaving out relative pronouns. I asked you to get rid of the relative pronouns in this paragraph when possible. Here are the answers:
The bitter melon which I cooked was given to me by someone who I know. <- tricky... there are two relative pronouns in this sentence
The bitter melon I cooked was given to me by someone I know. <- both of them represent the object of a verb

This person knows that bitter melon is a vegetable which I'm not crazy about.
This person knows that bitter melon is a vegetable I'm not crazy about. <- this one, too

After washing it and cutting it open, I removed the seeds and fiber which were inside. <- according to the rule from last time, the relative pronoun is necessary
After washing it and cutting it open, I removed the seeds and fiber inside. <- however, a relative pronoun plus a "be" verb can be left out

The bitterness did not reach the level that I had been afraid of.
The bitterness did not reach the level I had been afraid of.

Anyway, for my health, I might buy another one, since this is a fruit which is in season right now. <- I prefer this sentence because I think it's easier to understand.
Anyway, for my health, I might buy another one, since this is a fruit in season right now. <- but this is OK, too, I think.
Once more, here's the new rule from above:
  • In the case of a relative pronoun followed by a "be" verb, both may be left out.
It's easy to use, so try to do that with the following sentences:
  • This photo, which was taken while walking along the Sumida River at night, shows the reflection of the lights on the water.
  • I'm not sure what the building which is on the left side of the photo is.
  • The fish which were jumping in the river can't be seen in the photo.
I hope you had a peaceful evening like the one which I had.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー