2010/09/29

森永は英語の使い方に注意した方が良い。

Someone gave me a snack from Morinaga. It's called "Nudear", and it's a kind of chocolate cookie or round brownie.
  •  brownie 【名】
  1. ブラウニー◆チョコレート入りケーキ。味が濃くナッツが入っている。(definition from Eijiro on the Web)
Here's a page with the commercial for Nudear.
http://www.morinaga.co.jp/cm/nudear.html
When you open the box, there's an explanation of the name on the inside. It says:
  • ありのままの私 (×nude) を大切に(dear)
The problem is that ありのままの私 doesn't mean "nude" in regular spoken English. It means "just as I am".
  • You always accept me just as I am.
  • I woke up late, so I had to go to work just as I was, without a shower or even my suit.
They should check out Billy Joel's old hit, "Just the Way You Are".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ounJsqomcv8
If I went to work nude, wow! People would be so shocked! Here's the most common meaning of "nude":
  • nude (adj) 裸の、むきだしの、衣類{いるい}をつけていない、裸体{らたい}の、ヌードが登場{とうじょう}する (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
Morinaga is a big company! They make great almond pudding.
  • almond pudding (or almond tofu, almond jelly) - 杏仁豆腐
Any company of their stature ought to be able to afford to check marketing material with a native speaker, rather than teach everyone wrong English.
  • of this stature
    これほど(素晴{すば}らしい)才能{さいのう}を持つ (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
If you know anyone working there, you can suggest that they check my blog.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー