2009/05/26

チップは含まれていますか?

One of my students who is getting ready to go on her first homestay in the States was confused about how much tip to give. How much should I tip the waiter/waitress? Do I give a tip to the housekeeper directly? Do I have to tip my English teacher too?

There is no tip-giving custom in Japan. On the other hand, in America it is usual to tip in airports, restaurants, taxis, hotels and hair salons. It is hard to know how much to tip. Here are a few guidelines for tipping in the States:

Airport porters or hotel bellhops-- $1 or $2 for carrying each suitcase
Hairstylists-- 10%- 15% of the bill
Hotel maids-- $1 to $5 per night
Taxi drivers-- 10% - 15% of the total
Waiters and waitresses-- 10% - 20% of the bill (Of course you don't have to tip at a fast food restaurant)

When you are not sure about how much to tip, you should do what feels right. If you feel you received bad service, tip only a little. If you received very bad service, don't tip at all. If you got very good service, you can give a bigger tip.

Last but not least, pay attention to the pronunciation. It is tip not chip, "t" as in tiger, not "ch" as in chihuahua.

I hope you find my tip useful.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー