2009/05/05

I was saving this one for a rainy day... "wet" is usually an adjective.


I was saving this post for a rainy day, and now we have one. Hahaha! Please pardon my corny joke. It drizzled most of the afternoon, and it was raining steadily on my way home earlier.
  • I'm going to put my bonus money in the bank and save it for a rainy day.
    ボーナスは銀行に入れて、将来何かあったときのためにためておこうと思っています。 (from 英辞郎 on the web)
  • corny joke
    古臭いしゃれ、陳腐なしゃれ、聞き古したジョーク (from 英辞郎 on the web)
I bought some new brake shoes for my bicycle a couple of weeks ago. Since I ride my bike no matter the weather, I thought I should have pads that last longer when the weather is wet. At the shop, I found these brake pads.

Look carefully at the bottom of the card to which the pads are attached. It says:
  • × High performance in wet.
The problem is that "wet" is usually an adjective. After a preposition, you should use a noun, not an adjective. It should say something like:
  • ○ High performance in wet conditions.
The sad thing is that Shimano is an international company. People all over the world are using their products. Surely they could get one of the native speakers on their staff (being an international company, don't they have a native speaker on staff?) to check their labels.

If you are responsible for something worded in English at work which will be seen by hundreds or thousands of people, PLEASE ask a native speaker to look at it for you. Your image will be improved considerably by this small act.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー