2009/04/21

Taking a vacation over the Golden Week holidays

The Golden Week holidays are coming up. What are your plans? Are you taking a vacation somewhere, or are you going to spend the holidays in Tokyo?

As an American, I feel weird when people say "I'm taking a holiday". This is a British expression, which means several consecutive days off which are different from your usual days off. Americans usually say "I'm taking a vacation." In American English, a holiday is a special day, like Christmas, the Fourth of July, or like the coming Day of Nature (Greenery Day?) and Children's Day. If your usual days off are Saturday and Sunday, we usually just refer to them as "the weekend".

We're taking Tokyo vacations this year; traveling during Golden Week is too expensive. Besides, there's lots that I want to do here.

Tomorrow is not my day off, so I'd better go to bed so that I'm not worn out before my day off on Sunday. Take care!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー