2009/04/29

describe と explain の違いは何ですか?

Have you ever been asked to describe something or explain a situation? What is the difference between describe and explain? Well, let me see if I can explain it simply.

When you describe something you say or write what someone or something is like. See the following examples.

Can you describe your character? I'm shy and reserved.
It is not easy to describe Picasso's paintings.

I went to the space ALC site and found the following examples.
How can I describe it?
どう言って説明したらいいのかなあ.
It's not easy to describe my feelings.
私の感情[気持ち]を述べる[言い表す]のは簡単なことではありません.

When you explain something you give a good reason for your actions or make something clear or easy to understand. For example,

先生、What is the difference between 安全 and 安心? Can you explain it to me please?

Here are some sample sentences from the ALC website.
Can you explain?
説明してくれる?
Explain what's going on.
どういうことか説明してください

I hope I have explained the differences well enough.
See you in class!



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー