2009/04/06

Don't use the phrase "we're done" with your customers.

Today I heard perfect English, and I'm really angry about it. That's because it was perfectly rude English from a shop clerk.

As you probably know, I bought an iPhone in December. Now the cable which connects it with a computer is coming apart. The rubber sleeve around the wire has split, and the wires inside are visible. After class, I thought I could stop by the Apple shop in Ginza and see what could be done about it. I arrived exactly at 9 pm, which is their closing time. At Bic Camera, if I walk in the door at closing time, I can still get service. I thought it would be the same at the Apple store. I was wrong.

In perfect pronunciation, perfect intonation, and perfect grammar, the first word from the clerk (who appeared to be a young Japanese male) were "What do you want?" I was doubly surprised with the rudeness of his question and his perfect English. "The cable for my iPhone is broken," were my first words. I was then cut off with the question "do you want to buy a new one?" "No," I said. "I want Apple to replace it." "You've gotta come back tomorrow. We're DONE," he spat at me. "Your service sucks!" I said and I left the store, really really angry. I felt I had returned to New York City, and it was not a pleasant feeling.

You may recognize the phrase "we're done"; we studied this exactly one year ago in Mastery 49. Now I realize that I left out something very important in that lesson: never use this phrase with customers. This phrase means the speaker is completely finished, with no chance of returning to the issue. The nuance in this situation is "we will not help you, especially not now, and maybe not EVER."

Here's what Alc has to say about it:
  • I'm done with you. あなたとはもう絶交[終わり]です。
I think they should have replaced my cable tonight, but here's how the conversation should have gone if they had insisted on turning me away:

him: How can I help you?
me: The cable of my iPhone is broken, but I just bought it in December.
him: Wow! I'm really sorry about that. Could I take a look at it?
me: Sure. Here it is.
him: Oh, you're right. It shouldn't be like this. I'm really sorry it didn't hold up. I'm also really sorry, but we've just closed.
me: Oh? That's too bad.
him: Yeah, but here's what you can do. When it's convenient for you, please come back and bring it to the service counter on the third floor. Here's my card. Please let me know if you have any trouble getting a replacement, and I'll do my best to help you. I'm really sorry that we can't take care of it tonight, but we do have a strict policy about our store hours.
me: Oh, ok. I see. I'll be back tomorrow, then.
him: Thanks for your understanding. I hope to see you tomorrow. Sorry again about the cable.

I will go back tomorrow to speak to the manager. Maybe I'll tell them "I'm done with Apple."

---

An amendment: it is OK to tell your customer "we're done with your order" (meaning it is complete).

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー