2009/07/14

「so」の使い方

People are sometimes confused about using "so", so let's talk about it a bit.

Look at this one first:
× I was surprised so that I couldn't think anything.
○ I was so surprised that I couldn't think of anything.
Use "so" as an adverb in front of an adjective to emphasize it.
○ It was so hot today.
Use "that" at after the complete clause to talk about the result:
○ It was so hot today that I had to take a second shower in the middle of the day.
Even though "so" can be an adverb, you can't use it in front of a verb like this:
× I don't so like cats.
○ I don't like cats so much.
However, you can use it in front of a "be" verb or "do" to mean "also".
× I was very tired, also my coworker.
○ I was very tired, and so were my coworkers.
○ I felt it was hot today, and so did you, I bet.
"So-so" is something we use in conversations, but not to modify another adjective.
× It's so-so easy.
○ It's somewhat easy.
Use it like this:
A: How was the meal?
B: So-so.
Speaking of meals, here's what I made for dinner last night. At the supermarket a few days ago, tomatoes seemed cheap, so I bought a pack of them. Even though they were cheap, they were so delicious. I used most of them last night in this dish, which is chickpeas cooked with onions, tomato, cumin, lemon juice, red pepper, and black pepper.

I don't make a salad with lettuce so often, but somehow I felt it would be good with the chickpeas. For the salad, I made a dressing of vinegar, mustard, black pepper, and a pinch of salt. It was somewhat sour and didn't quite taste like I expected. The results were just so-so.

It was hot today, but I'm cooler now thanks to the AC. Hopefully so are you. Take care in the heat tomorrow!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー