2009/07/24

win と beat の正しい使い方

I win him!!!

This is one mistake I hear all too frequently.
Beat and win are quite similar but yet they are very different.

You can win a match, a game, an award, a tournament, the lottery.

You can beat something (e.g. a computer system) or somebody (e.g. Roger Federer beat Andy Roddick at Wimbledon recently)

Try some yourself...

FC Barcelona _______ Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League finals.
I have been playing the lottery for years but I have never _______ a big prize.
Do you know who ________ the British Open last week?
If Ryo Ishikawa played Tiger Woods, who do you think would ______?
If Ryo Ishikawa played Tiger Woods, do you think Ryo can _____ Tiger?
I am very competitive (負けず嫌い), I play to _______.

If you still aren't sure, please ask us in class.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー