2009/07/07

「taste」の正しい使い方

Here's some more about food. I often hear people use "taste" as a noun, like this.
× Tea is good taste.
× Tea has a good taste.
However, as a noun, "taste" usually has this meaning:
have good taste (~の)センスがある、(~の)趣味{しゅみ}が良い
She has good taste.
If you look in the dictionary, probably you will find that it says "taste" as a noun means 味, but it's really not so common, and I don't recommend it for you. If you are talking about the flavor of something (spelled "flavour" in British English), you should use "taste" as a verb.
  • 味 (あじ) flavor; flavour
So, what the people above really want to say is:
○ Tea tastes good.
○ The flavor of tea is nice.
I really like the flavor of this spice. It tastes good to me, and reminds me of Taiwan. Some people don't like it because it contains anise.
  • 八角 (はっかく) (n) (1) octagon; (2) star anise (spice);
I didn't used to like anise, either, but it grew on me.
grow on someone
〔~に対する不安{ふあん}・好意{こうい}・関心{かんしん}などが〕だんだん大きくなってくる、募ってくる
・Once you live in a place, it grows on you. : 住めば都。
・The idea grew on him. : 彼はその考えに取り付かれていた。
・I didn't like English at first, but it has grown on me. : 最初は英語が嫌いだったけど、だんだん好きになってきた。
(definition from 英辞郎 on the web)
I used a big spoonful of this in the soup I made last night. I also used in the tofu and chives dish that I made back on June 22. Those dishes tasted good, I think. If you have recommendations on ways to use spices to make tofu taste better or special, I'd like to hear them.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー