2009/09/12

「パプリカ」は英語で何?

This week I feel like talking about food.

One common mistake I hear is:
× I hate to eat pi~man. <- ピーマン is not English!
So I tell people that's not English, so they say:
× Oh! I mean I hate paprika.
"Paprika" is English, but it's a dried spice made from peppers, not the peppers themselves. Wikipedia says some European countries say "paprika" meaning the peppers, but as far as I know, English-speaking countries don't say that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika
  • as far as I know 私の知る限りでは、私の知っている範囲では (definition from Eijiro on the Web)
So what should you say?
○ I hate peppers!
I don't hate peppers, though. I love them! These are slices of bell pepper. There are green bell peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers. There are lots of other kinds of peppers, like jalapeno peppers, chili peppers, and so on.

I read that Australians and New Zealanders call them "capisicum". I had never heard that until today, though.

After slicing these bell peppers, I diced them and stir-fried them with chili peppers, green onion, garlic, ginger, fake mince meat, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and a little salt. I put that mixture on top of a bowl of noodles. Yummy!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー