2010/11/30

このメーカは英語の使い方に注意した方が良い!

Somebody came to class with this notebook, which says:
× Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much ; wisdom is humble that he knows no more.
Knowledge means being proud of having learned so much; wisdom means being humble about what one doesn't know. <- maybe, as I'm not exactly sure what they wanted to say.
  • knowledge 知識 
  • wisdom 知恵
  • humble 謙遜 (definitions from edict)
Notice that the semicolon was used incorrectly. In English, there is usually no space in front of punctuation. Be careful!
 
Worse than the semicolon, though, is the fact that I can't even be sure what their sentence means! It took me several reads to guess the meaning.

There's a lot that I don't know, and I have to be humble about my weak Japanese skills. Manufacturers and business people need to be humble about their English abilities. Don't sell a product with English on it without having someone who has a lot of knowledge of English check it! For me, that is wisdom.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー