2009/06/09

If you don't get to the station before the last train, you have to take a taxi.

The headline is zero conditional. Yesterday, I started to explain conditional sentences (条件文).

http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/06/if-you-dont-understand-conditional.html

Remember that conditional sentences have two parts: the "if" clause, which describes a condition, and the main clause, which describes the reaction.
If you don't get to the station before the last train, <- "if" clause, condition
you have to take a taxi. <- main clause, reaction
Zero conditional is used to talk about what happens every time, given a certain condition which happens more than once. We use it to talk about facts.
If you don't get to the station before the last train, <- this happens sometimes
you have to take a taxi. <- this is always true, unless, of course, you stay in a hotel, walk, or something else...
First conditional is used to talk about what will happen in the future, given a certain real condition. The main clause is a real reaction, not imaginary.
If you don't get to the station before the last train, <- today, this time (notice it looks the same as the example above)
you will have to take a taxi. <- today, this time, in the future
Second conditional is used to talk about what might happen in the future, given a certain condition which is very low probability or impossible. The main clause is the reaction to that impossible condition.
If you didn't get to the station before the last train, <- but I know you will get to the station before the last train
you would have to take a taxi. <- this doesn't matter, because I know you will get to the station
Third conditional is used to talk about what might have happened in the future had a certain condition happened in the past. In fact, the condition didn't happen.
If you hadn't gotten to the station before the last train, <- but you did get to the station
you would have had to take a taxi. <- this is history, though. In fact, you got to the station, so you didn't have to take a taxi.
After class tonight, I rushed over to Roppongi. I wanted to see a Swiss electronic musician's performance. His name is Andrea Valvini. We have been having an email discussion for a few months, and he has been in Japan for a week doing a tour. Fortunately, I saw the last 30 minutes of his performance. We talked while he was packing up his things. After he finished packing, we went to the station. Unfortunately, the last train to Tsukiji, where he was staying, had left.

As a result, we took a taxi to Tsukiji. He was staying at a temple there. He said you have to be inside at midnight. We arrived there close to 12:30. The gates were shut and all of the lights were out. Fortunately, I had my bicycle safety light on my keychain, so I used it to get the attention of the guard sitting inside, who was a small old man, probably around 70. He looked out, saw two foreigners (and Andrea is REALLY BIG), and then went back inside.

I shouted in Japanese "すみません" and then he came out again. So I told him in Japanese that we had a small problem.

"This foreigner already has his luggage inside. Could you open the gate?" After he realized I could speak Japanese and understood the situation, he asked Andrea's name, we told him, he smiled, checked his list, and let Andrea inside. Andrea was saved.

After I left him at the temple, I had to walk from Tsukiji to Kayabacho where I had left my bicycle. I got it, and now I'm home writing this post.

If I hadn't been there to help him, he might have had to sleep on the street. <- which conditional is it?

It's late now. If I don't go to bed, I'll be really sleepy tomorrow. <- and this one? Which conditional is it?

Good night!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー