2009/06/01

「offer」と「ask」の違いは何ですか。

Tonight in class we had this discussion. We were talking about the difference between "offer" and "ask".

Our discussion started with a question I asked:
Have you ever been offered anything on the street? Did you take what you were offered?
"Offer" means to ask someone if they want something. "Ask" just means to pose a question to someone.

Look at these definitions for "offer" from 英辞郎 on the web:
  • 〔人が~を受け入れるよう〕申し出る、提示する
    ・He offered me a glass of wine. : 彼は私にグラス1杯のワインを勧めてくれました。
  • 〔ほかの人のために~しようと〕提案する、言う
    ・They offered me to stay at their house. : 彼らは私に家に泊まるように言ってくれました。
    ・He offered to drive me home. : 彼は私に、(車で)家まで送ろうかと言ってくれました。
  • So these sentences are strange:
    × I was offered the direction from here to the station. <- "Would you like me to give you directions from here to the station?"
    ○ I was asked the directions from here to the station. <- Someone wanted to know how to get to the station.
    × I'd like to offer you to lend your pen.
    ○ I'd like to ask you to lend me your pen. <- Could I borrow your pen?
    Look at the question at the top of the page again. Another way to ask the same thing is:
    Has anyone tried to give you something on the street? Did you take what they tried to give you?
    However, be careful. "Offer" and "give" aren't exactly the same thing.
    × She gave me a cup of tea, so I took it.
    ○ She offered me a cup of tea, so I took it. = She asked me if I wanted a cup of tea, so I said yes. Then she gave it to me.
    You could answer the question at the top of the page like this:
    I was offered some tissues as I was coming out of the station. They're really convenient to have in my bag, so I took them.
    We're always offering you advice on your English; we hope you'll take it.

    0 件のコメント:

    コメントを投稿

    フォロワー