2009/05/15

Don't laugh too hard if you see me on TV.

Today I met a friend who is visiting here from the US. She is on the cast of Xanadu, a musical which has recently come to Japan.
  • on the cast 配役を列する <- this is my own bad Japanese... someone help me, please! I can't find it in a dictionary.
She and I had lunch in Ginza. After lunch, we got Japanese-style pastries from the basement of Matsuya department store. Since I was in a hurry to go to my Japanese lesson, we were eating the pastries on the way to the station.
  • in a hurry 急いで、慌てて
  • on the way 途中で
At just that moment, we were stopped by a film crew shooting video for some Sunday TV show.
  • film crew 映画制作班
  • shoot video ビデオを撮る
I can't recall which station they were shooting for. Anyway, I was busy eating a pie-crust pastry filled with red bean paste and a chestnut, and they were filming me and asking me about some photograph. The photo was of a statue of a man who didn't look Japanese on a horse. They wanted to know if we knew who the man was. I had no idea.
  • have no idea 全く分からない I have no idea. : 全然[さっぱり]分かりません。/見当もつきません。/全く考え付きません。
With crumbs falling out of my mouth, I tried to be a smart aleck in bad Japanese.
  • smart aleck 生意気{なまいき}な男、自信過剰{じしん かじょう}の[厚かましい・知ったかぶりをする]人、(実力{じつりょく}がないのに)自己顕示欲{じこ けんじ よく}の強いやつ◆Aleckはもともと男性名Alexanderの愛称だが、この表現は男性に限らず使われる。◆【参考】smart arse ; smart ass Mick is a smart aleck in class, but very quiet at home. : ミックは教室では生意気だが、家ではとてもおとなしい。
I don't think it worked out so well, though.
  • work out 何とか解決{かいけつ}する、丸く収める、何とかなる、うまくいく、いい結果{けっか}が出る、良い結果{けっか}となる
I have no idea if they will use the footage or not. Being in a hurry, I forgot to ask about the details of the program.

So, if you see me foolishly eating a pastry and speaking bad Japanese on TV this Sunday, now you know the whole story.
  • know the whole story 話[事情{じじょう}]はすべて知っている
(most definitions from 英辞郎 on the web)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー