2009/05/22

How many times have you run the washing machine this week? Have you ever felt the laundry never ends?


In case you haven't read the posts about present perfect tense from earlier in the week, here they are. I have written about it four times this week. After you have reviewed them, come back and read this post.
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/05/now-that-i-have-had-dinner-i-can-write.html
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/05/yesterday-i-started-series-of-posts-on.html
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-have-written-two-posts-on-present.html
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-havent-seen-one-of-my-friends-for.html
Sometimes we use present perfect which is sort of a combination of the two ways I mentioned earlier this week.
  • みたい (suf,adj-na) (col) -like; sort of; similar to; resembling; (P); (definition from Edict)
We can use present perfect to talk about something that is finished, but in the sentence we include a term that is unfinished.
  • I have eaten blowfish before.
  • How many times have you been to that restaurant (in your life)?
  • Since I moved to Chuo-ku, I've taken the train far less than I did before.
However, many Japanese want to use "ever" to mean 今まで. That's not OK in a positive sentence.
  • × I have ever...
  • × I've ever been abroad more than five times.
  • × I've ever eaten blowfish two times.
  • × I've ever talked to a stranger because I got lost.
It's good to think about time when using English, but actually present perfect tense already contains this meaning. Because of that, you don't need to use "ever" in these cases.
  • I've been abroad more than five times.
  • I've eaten blowfish two times.
  • I've talked to a stranger. It was because I got lost.
However, don't forget to use present perfect tense with "never".
  • × I never been to Beijing.
  • ○ I have never been to Beijing.
Save "ever" for questions:
  • Have you ever been to Beijing?
There are two restaurants that I have been to twice this week. I feel I've been eating out too much. It can't be good for my health, and it's certainly not good for my wallet either. How often have you felt like that? On top of that, I have done the laundry twice this week, but I haven't folded the clean clothes yet. This weekend, I hope. I also hope you all enjoy your weekend. See you in class!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー