2009/05/02

Be careful -- some words have prepositions inside of them. (part 2)

In the post below, I talked about these words:
  • abroad, aboard, there, here, inside, outside
They act like they have prepositions in them. That means that frequently (though not always) we don't use them with a preposition after a verb. However, that's tricky, and leads people to make this kind of mistake:
  • × I'm going to there tomorrow.
  • × Have you ever been to abroad?
The correct way to make these sentences is:
  • ○ I'm going there tomorrow. <- I'm going to that place tomorrow.
  • ○ Have you ever been abroad? <- Have you ever been to a place which is outside of this country?
I'm out of vegetables and other ingredients I need for tonight's dinner. I think I'll have to go to two different supermarkets to get everything I need. I didn't want to go outside while it was hot, so I'm going there in just a bit. Talk to you all later!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー