2009/05/02

Dinner turned out like this.


I made baked pesto penne with cherry tomatoes and デコポン. Since penne is Italian, I wasn't sure how to pronounce it. In English, we stress the first syllable, "pen", like something you write with. The second syllable is just like ね in Japanese. So it's like this, PEN-nay.

I realized I have no idea how to say デコポン in English, other than a funny kind of orange.
  • デコポン (n) Citrus reticulata Shiranui; type of citrus fruit (sweet orange with a lump at the top); (definition from Edict)
Wikipedia has a page on it, and guess what, the English is "dekopon", since it's a Japanese hybrid:
The pasta turned out great, and the fruit was super. I wish I could cook like this all of the time.
  • うまく行く (うまくいく) (v5k-s) to go smoothly; to turn out well; to do the trick; to have peaceful relations; (P); (definition from Edict)
You can see, Japanese isn't the only language with loan words. English has plenty of them, too.

I hope you all are having a nice holiday.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー