2009/05/21

I haven't seen one of my friends for a long time.


We bought a banana rack a few weeks ago. It works pretty well. Still, I have been disappointed that the bananas don't stay green longer. I really love slightly green bananas! I suppose I should buy fewer bananas each time so that I can enjoy them before they start to develop black spots.

This week, I have written a few times about present perfect tense. If you want to review, here are the posts:
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/05/now-that-i-have-had-dinner-i-can-write.html
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/05/yesterday-i-started-series-of-posts-on.html
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-have-written-two-posts-on-present.html
So, remember that one reason to use present perfect is to talk about an action which began in the past and has continued up to the present. The action is NOT FINISHED, or JUST FINISHED.
  • × How long here worked? <- a direct translation from Japanese?
  • ○ How long have you worked here?
When you talk about "how long" using present perfect, use "since" or "for", but not "from".
  • × I have worked here from last spring.
  • ○ I have worked here since last spring.
  • ○ I have worked here for about a year.
  • ○ I worked for my previous employer from 2006 to 2007. (雇い主 employer; definition from Edict)
A: Where did you grow up?
B: Tokyo.
A: Oh, so you must know the city well.
B: Sure, I've lived here my whole life.
Present perfect tense has this meaning of continuing from the past up to now. However, I think native speakers are more likely to use present perfect continuous in this situation, unless the action has been continuing for a really long time.
  • × I've listened to this mp3 nonstop lately. You should really download it.
  • I've been listening to this mp3 nonstop lately. You should really download it.
Another difference is that when using present perfect, the action is more likely finished. When using present perfect continuous, there's a greater chance that the action is still going on.
  • × Why haven't you replied to the email I sent? I have waited since last week!
  • ○ Why haven't you replied to the email I sent? I have been waiting since last week! <- and I am still waiting
  • I've been working on this report for days, and I'm still not finished. <- I'm still working on it.
I haven't seen one of my Taiwanese friends since January. She has been to Moscow recently, and I'm really looking forward to hearing about her trip. We are planning to have dinner on the weekend. If dinner is good, I'll recommend the restaurant to you.

I have already written part of tomorrow's post; it's more on present perfect tense. Look for that tomorrow. The press has announced that a case of swine flu has been found in Tokyo, so everyone take care!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー