2009/05/18

Even if you're serving beer, articles do matter!

This evening I went to Ebisu for dinner. I visited one of my favorite shops, and I also tried a kind of new restaurant specializing in vegetables. The vegetables were delicious, but the cooking wasn't so creative. In fact, it was kind of bland. What's more, it was overpriced.
  • お負けに (おまけに) (conj,exp) to make matters worse; besides; what's more; in addition; on top of that;
Anyway, while I was walking to the restaurant, I spotted these signs in another restaurant. They are trying to advertise their friendliness to foreigners. I suppose most English speakers would read these signs and feel extra welcome, so maybe they have achieved their purpose.

However, they should ask at least one of their foreign customers to check the grammar of their signs, and probably their menu as well. The upper sign says:
  • × We have a nice beer.
  • ~ We have nice beer.
  • ○ We have good/tasty/delicious/thirst-quenching beer.
  • 渇を癒やす (exp) to quench one's thirst;
"A" always means "one". "Beer" is often uncountable, and counted by "can" or "bottle". However, native speakers sometimes count "beer" itself.
  • Hey, could you grab a beer for me from the fridge?
If they have "a nice beer", then it means that if we are a group of thirsty foreigners, we will have to play "paper, scissor, stones" in order to see who can drink that one beer they have.
  • じゃん拳 (じゃんけん) (n,vs) (uk) rock, paper, scissors game; paper, scissors, stones game;
I hope the next time you go to an izakaya they have more than "a beer", otherwise you may have to drink tea instead.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー