2009/07/30

関係代名詞の使い方, part 3

I've been talking about 関係代名詞. You can read the previous posts here, if you haven't already:
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/07/no.html
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/07/part-2.html
The first thing to be sure about is the basic point. Think about these two sentences:
  • I made these noodles on Sunday night.
  • They're Chinese-style noodles with fake minced meat topping.
(definitions from 英辞郎 on the web, Edict, and me)
  • 偽製 (にせい) (adj) fake; imitation;
  • minced meat - ひき肉、ミンチ(した肉)
  • fake minced meat - ひき肉擬き (?)
An easy way to start is from the pronoun "they".
  • 代名詞 (n) (ling) pronoun; (P);
"They" means "these noodles". For a relative pronoun, in this case we can use "which" or "that".
  • I made these noodles, which are Chinese-style noodles with fake minced meat topping, on Sunday night.
You could also say this:
  • These noodles, which I made on Sunday night, are Chinese-style noodles with fake minced meat topping.
One of the most common mistakes I hear related to relative pronouns is repeating the noun. Don't do this:
  • × These noodles, which I made these on Sunday night, are Chinese-style noodles with fake minced meat topping.
I used some vegetables. Those vegetables are spinach and cilantro. -> The vegetables which I used are spinach and cilantro.
  • コリアンダー , シャンツァイ (zh:) パクチー (th: pak chi), 香菜 (n) coriander; cilantro; dhania; Chinese parsley (Coriandrum sativum);
The post which I write tomorrow will also be about relative pronouns.
  • I will write a post tomorrow.
  • It will also be about relative pronouns.
Of course, I'm always ready to answer any questions which you would like to ask. <- break this sentence into two parts. I'll show you the answer tomorrow.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー